The N.C. Department of Information Technology’s Broadband Infrastructure Office, as authorized under S.L. 2018-5, provides grants to private providers of broadband services to facilitate the deployment of broadband service to unserved areas of North Carolina.
The Growing Rural Economies with Access to Technology (GREAT) Program funds the terrestrial deployment of broadband within unserved areas of economically distressed Tier One counties, with transmission speeds of at least 10 Mbps download, and at least one Mbps upload. Deployment of speeds of 25:3 Mbps or greater is encouraged.
The grants are available to private broadband service providers and are designed to connect these areas with broadband as quickly as possible.
2019-2020 Application Period
|Dec. 12, 2019||Information Session|
|Dec. 16, 2019||Application Period Opens|
|March 16, 2020||Applications Deadline|
|May 1-30, 2020||Protest and Comment Period|
To begin the application process:
- Register for an NCID, if you haven't already done so.
- Complete a User Authentication Form.
- Return to the GREAT Grant webpage.
- Click “Start Your Application.”
- Click “Continue” to access the grant application portal.
For more information, download detailed instructions.
Materials & Resources
The application materials and program guidelines below are for use when applying for the GREAT Program and have been developed based on the enabling legislation for the GREAT program as authorized under S.L. 2018-5 and amended by S.L. 2019-230.
- GREAT Grant Guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions
- 2019-2020 GREAT Program Guidance Document
- Detailed Application Instructions
- Application Process Interactive Instructions
- 2019 County Tier Designations
- North Carolina Broadband Mapping Tool
In accordance with North Carolina Session Law 2018-5 § 143B‑1373(e) and amended by S.L. 2019-230, “applications shall be made publicly available by posting on the website of the Department of Information Technology for a period of at least 30 days prior to award.”