Wi-Fi on Bus Partnership
The N.C. Department of Information Technology is working with the North Carolina Business Committee on Education and Hometown Strong – as well as providers and other corporate partners – to help more students who lack home internet access get connected.
Thanks to donations from AT&T, Google and Duke Energy Foundation, school buses in the districts listed below have been equipped with Wi-Fi to bring internet access during the COVID-19 pandemic to communities without it.
The buses travel to underserved areas in school districts and park in designated locations, such as school nutrition meal distribution sites or grocery stores, so students can use this temporary access to turn in assignments, download materials and connect with teachers.
The drive-up Wi-Fi access is also available for all residents in the communities to use to connect to health care providers, apply for unemployment and access other critical information and services while exercising appropriate social distancing precautions.
These buses join the hundreds of other free Wi-Fi hotspots from providers across the state who are already providing locations where residents can access the internet during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Local school officials determine the exact locations and schedules for school bus Wi-Fi hotspots in their communities. For more information, contact the school district.
- Asheboro City Schools
- Avery County Schools
- Bertie County Schools
- Bladen County School District
- Burke County Public Schools
- Caswell County Schools
- Clinton City Schools
- Columbus County Schools
- Duplin County Schools
- Edenton-Chowan Public Schools
- Edgecombe County Public Schools
- Franklin County Schools
- Gaston County Schools
- Gates County Public Schools
- Granville County Public Schools
- Guilford County Schools
- Halifax County Schools
- Harnett County School District
- Hertford County Public Schools
- Johnston County School District
- Martin County Schools
- Montgomery County Schools
- Northampton County Schools
- Pender County Schools
- Perquimans County Schools
- Person County School District
- Randolph County Schools
- Public Schools of Robeson County
- Rockingham County Schools
- Sampson County Schools
- Scotland County Schools
- Tyrell County Schools
- Vance County Schools
- Warren County Schools
- Wayne County Public Schools
- Yadkin County Schools